As leaves fall and seasons change, we're reminded that nothing—not even tattoos—-are as permanent as…
IPL Aftercare Guide: Our Do’s & Don’ts
IPL is a successful and easy treatment for eliminating hyperpigmentation and reducing fine lines and wrinkles, but without proper aftercare, your skin may too easily fall back into old habits. Maximize your IPL treatments with proper skincare products and lifestyle choices with these tips from the experts at Pinnacle Dermatology.
Immediately After Treatment
IPL or intense pulsed light treatments treat a variety of skin conditions, like hyperpigmentation, large pores, fine lines and wrinkles, redness, and skin laxity. But, to maintain these outstanding results, aftercare is essential. Our team at Pinnacle Dermatology put together our aftercare tips for immediately after treatment and important do’s and don’t in the days following your rejuvenating treatment.
Immediately after treatment, we recommend icing your face for approximately 20-30 minutes. After, if you’re still encountering swelling, ice every 10-15 minutes for the next 3-4 hours. The night of your IPL treatment, wash your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water, making sure to pat dry. Your skin will be more sensitive than normal the day after your treatment, so gentle products are advised. Similarly, we recommend not applying any makeup until any redness has diminished. In the days following your IPL treatment, we recommend protecting your skin above all through gentle products, sunscreen, and more. Keep reading to learn more about our specific do’s and dont’s for IPL treatment aftercare.
IPL Treatment Aftercare Do’s
After your IPL treatments you should do the following:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: Your skin may be drier than usual after treatment, so apply a gentle moisturizer frequently to combat excessive dryness. By keeping your skin hydrated, you can speed up the healing process and see results more quickly.
- Use SPF: Apply SPF for two weeks after your treatment and every day after for that matter. An SPF is crucial for protecting the new skin revealed after your treatment. And using a product with SPF daily is a great preventative measure for future fine lines, wrinkles, and sunspots.
- Continue using gentle skin care products: As your skin continues to heal, we recommend using gentle cleansers, moisturizers, and makeup products to promote healing and decrease inflammation. We recommend waiting to experiment with other products until after the healing process is complete.
- Avoid hot showers: For the first 48 hours, avoid hot showers and baths. While the hot water and steam may feel nice, they can increase inflammation and redness right after your treatment.
IPL Treatment Aftercare Dont’s
After your IPL treatments you should avoid the following:
- Using any physical exfoliating products or ones that contain benzoyl peroxide, Retin-A, Retinol, and glycolic acids: If you use any harsh products too soon, you may end up with hypopigmentation. Your body will naturally heal and promote flaking of the treated spots, so don’t interfere by using intense skincare products.
- Scratching or picking at flaking areas: Likewise, if you notice flaking areas, don’t pick or scratch them. It may be tempting, but you may encounter hypopigmentation if you take matters into your own hands.
- Sun exposure: Do not expose your skin to the sun for at least 4 to 6 weeks after your treatment. If you have a lake or beach day planned, wear a hat and apply generous amounts of sunscreen to stay protected.
Rejuvenate Skin with IPL Treatments
Don’t sacrifice great results with a lack of aftercare. By following these simple guidelines, you can optimize your IPL treatment results and maintain smoother, younger-looking skin. If you have any questions or concerns about IPL treatment aftercare, speak with your provider. At Pinnacle Dermatology, we can provide our clients with further information about your unique healing timelines and processes. Discover long-lasting results for brighter and tighter skin at Pinnacle Dermatology!
Schedule Your IPL Treatment at Pinnacle Dermatology
Treat age spots, fine lines, rosacea redness, and more with IPL treatments. And maintain outstanding results with the proper aftercare. Call us at 843-507-5001 or contact us online for younger-looking skin!